Tuesday, February 2, 2010

BRH: Week 3 Session 2

Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Repeat 9 times.

Time: 35:00
Distance: 2.91 miles

Ouch! Shin-splint type pain and tight lower calves and achilles. I was hoping a rest day would help. Sadly, not so much. I have been stretching since I got home...stretched for 20 minutes after workout, stretched again 20 mintues later, and again about 30 minutes later. I have also been drinking a lot of water since I got home. Well...when I've been able to keep Doozer out of my cup. She's a water-loving cat and drinks by sticking her front pay in the dish/bowl/cup/bathtub/puddle and then licking it off her paw. Since I've gotten back, I've had to refill my cup 3 times because of paw-invasion and then she just knocked over a full cup onto the wood floors!!!!! If you hear about a cat being murdered tonight.....it wasn't me.


The run was great, despite the pain. No crazy dogs. The weather was even tolerable. It has snowed about 3+ inches since Monday evening. I'm a big snow fan, but I'm getting tired of it. Snow, you can go away now. I want spring! I want to run that trail!

Off to the grocery store so we can eat this week.....Happy running!

3 comments:

  1. I really doubted they would work but I finally caved a bought some calf compression sleeves. no calf cramps or shin splints since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think the pain could be caused by your shoes? Are they new? Where did you get them? Were you fitted for them? A lot of the problems you are describing can be caused by shoes but also by the newness of running.

    Check you posture when you run andmake sure you are not hunched over. Also are you a heel to toe runner? That is does your heel strike the ground first and then you roll into a toe push off? Heel strikers can get shin splints from the repeated impact of their heels hitting the ground.

    Lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the hurry up spring! Of course, I don't like snow, so that's not surprising!

    Glad you had a great run! And a suggestion for the shin pain: ice. Have you tried icing your legs yet? I fill a bucket with ice/water (or I throw in some snow from the yard...whatever!) and stick my foot in it.

    ReplyDelete