Monday, July 12, 2010

The day after

Today was an ordinary day. It started off like any other day. Bentley woke me up at 6:00 AM. The moment I rolled was the longest moment of my life because it took me that long to roll over. Holy cow! The pain! The soreness! I only made it down two steps before I had to turn around and descend the stairs backwards to avoid putting too much pressure on my knees. Of all the times I wish I could walk on my hands....I won't even tell you about the pain involved with attempting to sit on the toilet seat....

After feeding the dog and practically crawling back up the stairs, the simple act of lying back down exhausted me so much that I passed out for the next 4 hours. This marks the first time I've slept until 10:00 since college...probably.

I was finally able to wake myself up and get myself going. Lots of water and just enough Advil and I was able to get a few things done. Luckily I was able to get Ryan to help me clean up last night after dinner, so I wasn't angry that my house was messy and smelly this morning. (Remember my New Year's Resolution to wash my dishes after dinner? neither...I'm trying to be better about that.)

After my husband got back from football camp, we headed off to our local running store to stock up on some running basics that we didn't have. Here's what we got:

I am nursing one heck of a blister on the ball of my right foot so I'm really looking forward to combining those Balengas with the Body Glide tomorrow for an easy 2-miler. I'm also a huge fan of the GU Chomps because they are gluten free!!! I was able to snag a sample pack at the RNR Chicago expo last year. I wasn't running last year, but I ate them anyway. They gave me quite the energy boost :)

Random note:

On our way to the running store, we heard an emergency update that there was a tornado in the next county over from us. It was near a town that was much further south that we were, so we didn't worry. The skies were cloudy, but nothing that would cause us alarm. On our way home from the store, we heard a weather update from the station that said we could expect steady rain for the evening and that there were some tornado watches in an area just north of our house. As we were coming up over a hill right by our neighborhood, the tornado siren at the top of the hill started going off. (Our county just spent a ton of money to put up free standing, rotating sirens all over our county. There is one about a quarter mile from our house. Bentley howls when they test it on the first Tuesday of every month.) Every hair on my body stood on end and I told my husband that we should get home quickly. We were up on a very high hill and could see for miles and we didn't see any sign of a tornado anywhere. After we turned into our neighborhood my husband turned the car around and said, "I just want to check something." He points to the clouds to the north of the neighborhood and says, "I've never seen a funnel cloud, but what does that look like to you?" And there it was! A very wispy, slowly descending funnel cloud! Oh my gosh! It was north of us, so we didn't have too much cause for worry, but it was still kinda creepy.

So that's my story for the day :) Happy running and watch out for tornadoes!


  1. Wow! I would have been worried! Can't say I have ever seen one!

  2. I've never seen a tornado either unless you count the time dad made us stand in the garage during storms and watch the twisting clouds in the sky...that could have been a funnel cloud.