Sunday, October 10, 2010

Stonebridge 5K

Just getting it out there......PR!!!!

Ok. So. Carefully laid out my outfit the night before. After the crappy run the other day, I tried not to over estimate for temperature. I think I did a pretty good job. :)

Up at 6 and out the door by 7. Packet pick up ended at 7:30 and I didn't want to be late. The race was taking place just minutes from my house! The number one reason why I picked it! I got to sleep in, and make it on time!

The second reason I chose this race was because it was the first year it was being run. Because Chicago filled up so fast, our local YMCA decided to map out a route and hold a marathon here in my area. The course started in the next town over and ended in the park just down the street from my house. They also mapped it out and got it certified as a BQ course! After the marathon runners started, there were simultaneous 5Ks being held at both the start and finish locations. The 5K I was running was being held at the finish location. The race would be on the trail that Bentley and I run on a lot!

I was really impressed with the organization and set up of the race. It was a really small race, like only 30 people participated in the 5K, but it was really well organized. The picture above is of the snacks and water tent for post-race. There was a woman slicing apples and bagels and putting them in ceramic bowls. There were also bowls of banana halves and grapes. It was set up like a hotel breakfast buffet with fall decorations. So cute! And delicious!

Husband was able to make it out of his football meeting to come and watch me race. I was so happy he came. After the loneliness of the last race, I was really hoping someone would come and watch me. Yay for husband points!

After a few really good training runs, I was totally going for a PR with this race. I was also really counting on Pedro to help me keep a good pace time. When the race started, I paced myself behind a guy who was going the pace I wanted. I kept it there until I looked down and noticed the pace time on Pedro had slipped by 10 seconds. Oops!

When we hit the water stop, that was the turn-around point. I knew that I needed to pick up the pace if I wanted get that PR. So glad I knew this trail! I knew exactly how far I had to go each moment. As we were rounding the curve that takes us back to the bridge down the hill (details, details, details) I uped the pace just a bit more. I passed 4 people I'd been chasing since the water stop.

The girl in the pink next to me put up a good fight toward the end. I kept trying to shake her and she kept up with me! Oh...and do you see the guy in yellow behind me?!? Well....after I finally lost the girl in the pink I kicked in the sprint to the finish. I could hear someone coming up behind me, I though that the pink girl and found some fire and was coming for me! Ah! Can't let her pass me! Nope! It was the yellow guy! He totally got me right at the finish line. He came up and thanked me for giving him someone to chase. He said I was tough to catch and that I started to sprint right when he needed me to. I laughed and said, "You're welcome." Anything to help :)

Pedro's time at the finish line said 29:09. The official time was 29:15. Total PR!!!!!!!! So excited!!!


  1. congrats! awesomeness! you broke the big 30 =)

  2. Yeah, so happy for you. Congrats!

  3. Great job! There's nothing like passing people!

  4. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Way to go. I was laughing out loud while reading this bc I think that we had the same inner monologue at our races, yesterday. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for being you... you are one of the people I really get tons of hope and inspiration from.

  5. That's so awesome!! Speed demon!! :)

  6. Great job! PR's always feel amazing!!

  7. Yay for a new PR! That's awesome! And the guy in the yellow? Too funny! Glad Hubs could there for you. Ran a few this summer without him and it was very lonely at the finish line. :(

    Great job! *hugs!*

  8. Awesome awesome job! I love your bondi band!