Monday, September 6, 2010

A few days with running shoes on

I have spent the past few days with my running shoes on.

It all started Friday morning. During the school year, Friday is know around here as "no shower Friday." Husband and I usually sleep in and then throw on our jeans and spirit wear to head in to school. I broke that tradition by waking up at 4:50 AM to head out for a run. This was going to be my first pre-dawn run. Surprisingly, I actually woke up when the alarm went off. I had set out my clothes the night before, so getting dressed was a snap in the dark. Bentley knows what it means when my shoes go on, so he was dancing around too. Husband was still snoring away when I kissed his forehead and told him I was going for a run.

When I got down stairs, I grabbed a drink of water and got Bentley dressed. If you're new to this blog, check out my Doggie Gear post to see Bentley's "business suit." I also put on my reflective ankle bands and grabbed a flashlight. I don't have a headlamp or a reflective vest, so I wore my neon yellow t-shirt.

I was still dark when we headed out and the constellations were still visible. It was so quiet and kinda creepy. I switched on the flashlight so that any passing cars could see it shining on the ground. If they didn't look like they were moving over, I simply shined it at their windshield. That seemed to work well for the one car that caused problems. The two other cars we saw saw us and moved over.

My pace was really fast, probably because the dark made me nervous! I was surprised with my time! 2.7 miles in 25:34! That's crazy fast for me!



I took two days off because of my husband's birthday and family celebrations over the weekend.


But this morning I woke up and did 3 more miles with Bentley and Pedro! My overall time was great 30:56. But my pace times were pretty inconsistent:

Mile 1: 9:22
Mile 2: 10:14
Mile 3: 11:19
Average: 10:18

Thanks to Pedro, I can give you all these beautiful numbers. Hopefully he will help me figure out what a pace feels like.

Pedro? Who is Pedro? Pedro is Husband's Garmin Forerunner 405!!!!! We are the proud parents of a Garmin! He got this little guy yesterday for his birthday. I'm pretty sure we aren't supposed to share the little guy, but since Husband is so busy with football and will then be so busy with wrestling, Pedro won't be used by him until the spring. I just can't let the little guy go unused for that long! I'm going to give him all the attention he deserves :)

I'm hoping to do another run on Wednesday morning before school. I also have a race on Saturday (4 miles).

Happy running!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the award. I have bookmarked it and will get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had the chance to "steal" a Garmin, I would too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome runs! You are sure getting speedy.

    ReplyDelete