Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My life as a celiac

In September of 2008 I was diagnosed with Celiac disease. I didn't think the gluten-free diet would be too bad...until I met with a nutritionist. She gave me the doom & gloom version of my diagnosis, which had me in tears when I left her office. According to her I needed to throw away everything in my kitchen, go to a specialty food store, and be prepared for osteoporosis, mental illness, and miscarriages. I can't even begin to describe how sad this made me.

After I came to terms with everything, I began to embrace my new diet. I didn't throw everything away, I just added to my food collection and had my husband eat what I couldn't. I found that gluten-free products didn't taste too bad. I also liked that eating gluten-free gave me the push I'd been needing to buy organic food.

I was doing well...until my husband ordered pizza....I couldn't help myself. I hadn't been that sick in a long time.

Since then (about 10 months) I have been as gluten free as possible. I'm still adjusting. There are days when I hate eating and think my life is horrible. But then there are the days when I'm walking through the regular grocery isles and pick up a random product and see my two favorite words, "gluten free" on the label. Those days give me hope. And there are more of the positive days than the negative ones.

I must sound like a complete whiner! I promise I'm not down in the dumps all the time!

Let's hope for a more positive outlook from now on!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, thanks for stopping by my blog and being a follower. I LOVE your profile pic. Is he/she your dog?

    I hear you on being motivated. That's part of why I started my blog. I was never one to keep a diary or journal but I figured if I went "public" with my goals I had no choice but to follow through lol.

    You will find an AMAZING supportive group of runners in blog land. Comment on other people blogs and you will be discovered by others who will in turn offer you support and encouragement.

    Couch to 5k is a great way to get started. Just take it slow to avoid injury. Before you know it 3.1 miles will be nothing.

    Good luck on your journey. I'll be watching :)

    ReplyDelete