Monday, May 3, 2010

To the Dr. I went...

I finally reached a breaking point with my conditions yesterday. Yes...conditions...plural. These things just keep finding me!

We all know about my lung issues. You probably even remember my post about my scary run when I actually stopped breathing. My new condition prompted me to finally get that checked out.

The other condition showed itself yesterday. My sister kindly pointed out that I was having a problem talking to her on the phone. I had fallen asleep waiting for her to call me back (at 4:00 in the afternoon) and couldn't wake up enough to talk to her when she did call (around 5:00). She then kindly pointed out that I probably had an iron deficiency and should get tested for it. When I finally pulled myself out of bed, I googled the symptoms of iron deficiency and everything started to click. I have noticed that, for the past couple of months, I have been fighting the urge to fall asleep while I'm driving. I've needed to start singing and talking to myself just to keep myself awake. I've also taken more naps that I have in the past. These naps are really hard to wake up from. After I run, I ride that high for a while and then I completely crash.
All I want to do is sleep. This urge to sleep is starting to effect my ability to get my school-work done...not good when you're the teacher!

According to the Mayo Clinic Website:

Iron deficiency anemia symptoms may include:

  • Extreme fatigue
  • Pale skin
  • Weakness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Headache
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Cold hands and feet
  • Irritability
  • Inflammation or soreness of your tongue
  • Increased likelihood of infections
  • Brittle nails
  • Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)
  • Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or pure starch (I eat popcorn like no other! I also love potatoes and corn chips.....starch, starch, starch! I will also eat raw rice and pasta.)
  • Poor appetite (see above), especially in infants and children with iron deficiency anemia
  • Restless legs syndrome — an uncomfortable tingling or crawling feeling in your legs
The red stuff all applies to me......hmmmmmmm...

As I read further I discovered that some of the causes of this deficiency are related to taking acid-blockers like prilosec (which I take) and having celiac disease (which I have). Hmmmm.......

I called my Dr. this morning and was able to get in. She listened to my symptoms and recommended a blood test. I then brought up the breathing thing. Last year, at this time, I brought up this issue and she thought that it was because I hadn't built up enough endurance (which was true) and because my body hadn't adjusted to the meds (which was true). I then quit running last summer because I couldn't stand the feeling. Now I'm adjusted to the meds and have been building my endurance since November. I still feel like I'm being strangled when I run. "Not normal," she says. After our discussion she wrote an order for me to get some pulmonary tests...said I needed to get a spirometry test. I'm currently looking that up to see what it's all about.

My doctor prescribed me an inhaler to use until the test results come in. She also changed my BP meds. I am to work my way off my old meds and on to my new ones. I'm a little worried about the "caution, this may decrease the effectiveness of your birth control pills" label. Babies are not on my radar right now and I'd like to keep it that way. Next year maybe.....but not now. Those things are expensive ;)

I've been using the Mayo Clinic website for these things. Does anyone recommend a better source? I find May to be very reliable, but I want to make sure.

I'll post about my results when I get them. The whole deficiency thing was just speculation on my part (and on my sister's. She knows these things.) I also tend to feel that I'm a little bit of a hypochondriac....so this may just be a thing. I know I've gained quite a bit of weight over the past few years. Maybe my body just can't handle it. Maybe I really need to train more. Who knows. Who knows. Hopefully I find out something and this "thing"...whatever it is...gets better.

Planning to test the effectiveness of my inhaler tomorrow.


*Side note.....Go Blackhawks!*

3 comments:

  1. Eekk....I hope they figure out what is going on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have iron deficiency anemia...i just decided I was right! PS mayo clinic is awesome! 1: its in Minnesota and everything in Minnesota is awesome. 2: the celiac research doctor Joseph Murray works there and he is doing great research with celiac disease...so mayo is awesome. Don't doubt Mayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jill...Maya is an awesome resource! Hope you get everything figured out soon! Not knowing what's wrong is worse than trying to fix it, I think!

    ReplyDelete